Geriatric Screening and Preventive Care
Aorta & Bladder Scans, Pulmonary Function Tests, EKGs & More
As we age, we become more vulnerable to certain health risks that specifically affect older adults, and preventative care becomes all the more important for keeping your body healthy and preserving your quality of life. When you’re searching for a primary care physician who can meet your changing needs, the capability to perform accurate, convenient, compassionate testing should be near the top of the list.
Dr. Mercado, Dr. Bossbaly and the team at Mercado Medical Practice are proud to be the one-stop-shop for a wide variety of specialized geriatric screening and preventative care services right here in Philadelphia, PA. Our Philadelphia offices are neighborhood-focused and easily accessible to our patients, and our Spanish-speaking staff and physicians are committed to caring for our community when and where they need us. Using the latest technology, we frequently perform the following tests for our patients:
- Ankle Brachial Index (ABI) Tests
- Aorta Scans
- Electrocardiograms (EKG)
- Holter Monitor Tests
- Bladder Scans
- Pulmonary Function Tests
- Nerve Conduction Studies
If you or your aging loved ones are looking for a community-focused, patient-first environment to receive the vital Philadelphia testing services they need, look no further than Mercado Medical Practice. Reach out and schedule your first appointment with us today -- we’re looking forward to meeting you.
Recommended Health Screenings for Adults
Older adults should always take special care to monitor the health of their circulatory systems, including the activity of the veins, arteries, and the heart itself. Having worked hard to keep your blood pumping for your entire life, these systems need upkeep, and close care is required to ensure that any problems are caught early and treated as quickly as possible.
At Mercado Medical Practice, we offer the following tests to help monitor your veins, arteries, and heart:
- Ankle Brachial Index (ABI): An ABI test is a reliable test for diagnosing Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD) in the legs. People who have PAD symptoms such as leg discomfort, numbness, or non-healing sores. In patients who have already been diagnosed with PAD, the ABI can monitor how severe your PAD is and predict whether wounds will heal on their own.
- Aorta Scan: The Aorta Scan is a 3D ultrasound tool that quickly and accurately measures the diameter of the abdominal aorta to help identify the presence of Abdominal Aortic Aneurysms.
- Electrocardiogram (EKG): An Electrocardiogram (EKG) is a routine examination of the electrical activity of the heart that is used to reflect underlying heart conditions.
- Holter Monitor: A Holter Monitor is a small battery-operated device that you wear that shows your heart's electrical activity while you do your usual activities. A Holter Monitor can show how your heart adjusts to changes in activities, such as when you exercise. The recorded signals may help your caregiver learn if you have heart damage or heart problems.
Testing Services for Geriatrics - Philadelphia, PA
Additionally, Dr. Mercado and the team at Mercado Medical Practice provide a number of other testing services designed to detect injury and disease early so you can begin receiving treatment as quickly as possible. From your renal system to your lungs and nerves, you deserve the most accurate testing available to ensure that all is well with your body.
We provide the following additional preventative services:
- Bladder Scan: The Bladder Scan is a 3D ultrasound tool that measures the bladder volume to aid in the diagnosis of common urological conditions, to assess urinary retention, to help prevent unnecessary catheterization, and to reduce rates of catheter-associated urinary tract infection.
- Pulmonary Function Test (PFT): Pulmonary Function Tests are done to diagnose certain types of lung disease (especially asthma, bronchitis, and emphysema), find the cause of shortness of breath, and to measure whether exposure to contaminants at work affects lung function.
- Nerve Conduction Study (NCS): Nerve Conduction Studies are for evaluation of paresthesias (numbness, tingling, burning) and/or weakness of the arms and legs. This can be in several positions to help determine the site of nerve injury or disease.
If you need a test performed in a welcoming, accessible environment designed specifically to care for your needs as an older adult, reach out to Mercado Medical Practice and schedule your testing appointment with us today.
Preventive Care for Seniors | FAQ’s for Geriatricians
What is preventative care?
Preventative care, which includes the aforementioned testing services we provide at Mercado Medical Practice, is medical care which focuses on detecting early signs of illness and preventing its onset rather than treating an illness after the fact.
Why is preventative care important for older adults?
As we age, our bodies don’t just become more vulnerable to certain illnesses; our ability to recover quickly and fully can also become compromised. Preventative care enables your physician to treat early symptoms and stop an illness from progressing, resulting in a quicker recovery and better outcomes for you.
Which areas of the body can you test?
At Mercado Medical Practice, we perform tests for the following areas of the body:
- Nervous system
Why should I seek testing from a geriatric specialist?
Unlike more general primary care providers, a geriatric specialist can afford a highly focused level of care that attends to your individual, specific needs as an aging adult. In the case of testing services, Dr. Mercado and Dr. Bossbaly’s specialization in geriatric care means they know exactly what to look for when viewing the results of your tests.